YouTube Bans Trump Indefinitely, Citing Ongoing Potential For Violence
YouTube has indefinitely extended its suspension of former president Donald Trump’s channel on its platform, citing “the ongoing potential for violence.” Since vacating the Oval Office Jan. 20 and moving into his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Fla., Trump hasn’t been heard from or seen much, except for trips to his nearby golf course and his announced formation of the “Office of the Former President.”
The YouTube decision shuts down the 2.79 million people who subscribe to his channel. He initially was banned from YouTube, Facebook and his beloved Twitter for 12 hours on Jan. 7. That was the day after the deadly Trump terrorist riot at the U.S. Capitol, when he posted a video praising the seditious mob of his supporters who laid siege to the United States Capitol, temporarily delaying the congressional certification of Joe Biden’s Electoral College victory. The Google-owned company extended its ban Jan. 12, but now says it will not reinstate his access to the platform any time soon.
“In light of concerns about the ongoing potential for violence, the Donald J. Trump channel will remain suspended,” YouTube spokesperson Ivy Choi said in a statement. “Our teams are staying vigilant and closely monitoring for any new developments.”
YouTube’s decision could be at least in part because of this advisory issued today by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security: “The Acting Secretary of Homeland Security has issued a National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) Bulletin due to a heightened threat environment across the United States, which DHS believes will persist in the weeks following the successful Presidential Inauguration. Information suggests that some ideologically-motivated violent extremists with objections to the exercise of governmental authority and the presidential transition, as well as other perceived grievances fueled by false narratives, could continue to mobilize to incite or commit violence.”
Trump’s Facebook has also been indefinitely suspended, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg announced earlier this month. Twitter permanently shut down his personal account because it said the twice-impeached former commander-in-chief incited violence during the Jan. 6 riot. “After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” the company said in a statement.