The scandal surrounding Donald Trump’s DOJ continues to dominate the news cycle, with many of the targets of the digital spying coming forward to speak to the invasion of privacy they only learned about last week.
Aside from Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell, CNN reporter Barbara Starr was revealed to have been just one of several members of the media who also had their phone records seized in the daring digital breach. Starr, who also said there has been no indication that she is under any kind of criminal investigation, challenged current Attorney General Merrick Garland to publicly explain the DOJ’s actions so she and other journalists can understand the rationale of such an invasive subpoena.
Starr broke her silence on Monday with a new Op-Ed on the network’s website and appeared on CNN’s “New Day” in a segment with hosts Briana Keilar and John Berman, and said she didn’t know why she was a target of Trump and his Attorney(s) General.
BREAKING: Attorney General Merrick Garland has referred the Trump DOJ’s abuse of subpoenas to the Inspector General.
— Kaivan Shroff (@KaivanShroff) June 14, 2021
“We have no idea why the Justice Department snuck into my life,” she said. “They went out, in secret court proceedings last year, they went after some 30,000 of my emails and phone records, and not just my work email, my work phone, they went after my personal accounts, my personal email, and my personal phone… they wanted all of it. And I was not allowed to know about it.”
It’s a welcome first step that AG Garland referred the Trump DOJ subpoena scandal to the Inspector General.
But the IG has no jurisdiction over former employees like Barr and Sessions (and soon to be former employee John Demers).
This is why the House needs to hold hearings. https://t.co/RwMMOfcxH5
— Ted Lieu (@tedlieu) June 14, 2021
“Let me just say, as an American, I would like an answer about why the Justice Department thought this was something that they could do,” Starr said. “I would like an explanation.”
Watch Barbara Starr’s segment, below.