Trump Says Ford Can Now Build Cars ‘in the U.S.A.’ — Ford says no we can not
It was just yesterday that President Trump tweeted, “‘Ford has abruptly killed a plan to sell a Chinese-made small vehicle in the U.S. because of the prospect of higher U.S. Tariffs.’ CNBC. This is just the beginning. This car can now be BUILT IN THE U.S.A. and Ford will pay no tariffs!”
Trump was trying to twist and turn current events to make it appear as though his tariffs are working in some way. While it is debatable whether or not Trump’s trade war has helped the U.S. in any way so far, most economists believe that the idea to start this economic war is a bad one.
It now appears as though Trump’s claim that Ford can now move production of their vehicle, the Focus Active, to the United States, is, as Trump would call it, “FAKE NEWS”.
Ford confirmed this yesterday via spokesman Mike Levine, who released the following statement: “It would not be profitable to build the Focus Active in the U.S. given an expected annual sales volume of fewer than 50,000 units and its competitive segment.”
Once again, Trump appears to have been caught using a false narrative to try and spread pro-Trump rhetoric.
Fact is, back on July 6, Trump began imposing 25 percent tariffs on $34 billion in Chinese imports, which included vehicles like the Focus Active. That is why companies like Ford can not sell their vehicles, which they make overseas, in the U.S.