fbpx

Trump Administration Completely Cuts Funding to Military’s Stars and Stripes Magazine

Donald Trump has always positioned himself as a candidate who supports the military no matter what. With that being said, his recent behavior towards the military has been curious. When dozens of troops suffered concussions during a January bombing of a military base, the President said, “he’d seen much worse.”

US President Donald Trump (L) and Vice President Mike Pence (C) observe the dignified transfer of two US soldiers, killed in Afghanistan, at Dover Air Force Base in Dover, Delaware, on February 10, 2020. – The two soldiers have been identified as Sgt. 1st Class Javier Jaguar Gutierrez, 28, of San Antonio, TX, and Sgt. 1st Class Anonio Rey Rodriguez, 28, of Las Cruces, New Mexico. US and Afghan troops came under “direct fire” in eastern Afghanistan late on February 8, a US military official said. (Photo by JIM WATSON / AFP) (Photo by JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images)

In his latest budget, Trump has struck another blow to a segment of the military. His latest plan completely zeros out the funding for Stars and Stripes magazine.

Stars and Stripes has served military members since 1861. But there is apparently no room in Trump’s $705 billion budget for the publication.

Earlier this week, Max Lederer said of the rumored cut, “I have just begun to evaluate the impact to operations. The loss of funding to support the Stripes mission around the world will definitely reduce the ability of the Stripes staff to gather, produce, and deliver the content needed and desired by the military community.”

The cuts were confirmed by Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Thursday afternoon. He told reporters, “So, we trimmed the support for Stars and Stripes because we need to invest that money, as we did with many, many other programs, into higher-priority issues.”

 



Follow Us On: Facebook and Twitter