Top General Milley: Troops Would Never Accept Illegal Orders From Trump
Since the day he took office, Donald Trump has talked fondly about “his Generals.” The military figures he’s placed in cabinet positions, however, haven’t necessarily been fond of him. His former Defense Secretary, James Mattis, and his former Chief of Staff, John Kelly, have both been critical of his recent actions.
And the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley, has also been battling the President. On Monday, Milley sent a letter to Congress promising that troops would never obey illegal orders from Trump.
The General was responding to a question from Arizona’s Ruben Gallego (D). The congressman simply asked, “Do you intend to obey illegal orders from the President?”
Milley answered the question in a letter. He wrote:
“My bottom line response to the question in your June 1, 2020 letter is ‘absolutely not.’ I testified at my Senate confirmation hearing that any soldier, sailor, airman or marine, regardless of rank, including myself, will not obey an illegal order. I have personally abided by this standard since my commissioning 40 years ago — and I will not change now.”
This is the second time that Milley has gone against the President in the last week. The General was recently criticized for joining Trump, while in uniform, for his church photo-op.
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said that he and Milley didn’t know they were going to St. John’s Episcopal Church. “I thought I was going to do two things,” he said. “To see some damage and to talk to the troops. I didn’t know where I was going. I wanted to see how much damage actually happened.”