Convicted former Trump campaign adviser, George Papadopoulos, is considering withdrawing from the plea deal he negotiated with the Department of Justice and Special Counsel Robert Mueller as part of their investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russian officials in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election. Papadopoulos says the change of heart came as he was made aware of new information that he cannot disclose.
“I believe there was tremendous misconduct on the government’s behalf regarding my case,” said Papadopoulos in an interview with Fox & Friends “And given certain information I learned just yesterday that I can’t publicly disclose right now, I’m actually even considering withdrawing my agreement I have come to with the government.”
Papadopoulos plead guilty to lying to investigators and impeding their progress in the investigation. As part of his plea deal, Papadopoulos agreed that he had contact with a foreign professor during the campaign and was informed that the Russians had “dirt” on Hillary Clinton in the form of emails.
Papadopoulos was sentenced last month for his crime.
“I made a terrible mistake for which I paid dearly and I am terribly ashamed,” said Papadopoulos at his sentencing hearing. “My entire life has been turned upside down.”
I have been sentenced to prison in our country while having exculpatory evidence hidden from me. If I knew what I knew today, I would have never plead guilty.
— George Papadopoulos (@GeorgePapa19) October 30, 2018
Despite having pled guilty, he told Fox & Friends that he was ‘framed,’ claims he is a victim of government corruption, and that he made the deal in a “chaotic” moment with inadequate representation.