Following news that Dr. Christine Blasey Ford had accused SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh of physically assaulting her in an attempted rape during a high school party in the 1980s, 65 women came forward to sign a pledge in support of Kavanaugh’s character. Now, Ford has provided lie detector results administered by a former FBI agent which appears to verify her story.
It only took a few short days but it looks like many of the women who initially signed the pledge may be backing away from their public support of Kavanaugh. Politico attempted to confirm statements from the women involved in the GOP’s letter but could receive only two firm notices of full support. This, after the 65 women came forward very quickly to throw their support behind the potential SCOTUS justice immediately after he was accused of attacking Dr. Ford.
The original letter, released only a short time after news of the allegations were made public, led some to believe the GOP previously knew of the allegations and had already prepared the letter. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) received the letter and passed it along to the FBI. The agency decided not to investigate the letter.
Politico did manage to hear back from two of the women who still firmly stand beside Kavanaugh. Stephanie Conway McGill said, “I stand by the letter I signed. I do not know this woman.”
Meghan McCaleb added, “I absolutely stand by the letter we signed.”
In the meantime, Ford’s attorney has signaled her willingness to go before Congress and testify about the alleged assault if they summon her. “Her recollection of these events is crystal clear,” Ford’s attorney Lisa Banks told NPR’s Morning Edition. “She will agree to participate in any proceedings that she’s asked to participate in.”
The White House continues to stand by its nominee, although White House counselor Kellyanne Conway told Fox News. “This woman should not be insulted and she should not be ignored,” “This woman will be heard.”
Congress will vote on Kavanaugh’s confirmation on Thursday, although Senator Jeff Flake, a Republican from Arizona, said he was uncomfortable moving forward without hearing all of the facts.
There is still the possibility other women could come forward to support Kavanaugh, including the women not yet contacted but after being contacted by Politico, responses have remained low. With a lie detector test confirming the claims, it may very well be that those involved in the letter are waiting for more information to be released. Politico notes: “Five of the women who signed the letter declined to comment when reached by POLITICO following the public revelation of Ford’s identity.”
Important Update: The headline of this article was updated from an early version. We originally reported from a Raw Story report that Politico attempted to contact all 65 women, Politico, in fact, notes that only about half of the women were contacted and only two offered a response voicing their continued support for Kavanaugh.
What's Your Reaction?
James Kosur is the former Editor-In-Chief and co-founder of Hill Reporter. He recently served as an editor for Business Insider and various other publications. James and his partners sold Hill Reporter to a new owner in July 2019.