Joaquin Castro Says Many ‘Needlessly’ Died Because Of Trump’s Failures On Coronavirus
As of Saturday at 1 p.m. Eastern Time, more than half a million cases of coronavirus have been identified in the United States, with at least 19,701 deaths the result of the deadly disease.
As a result, the U.S. has become the nation with the highest number of deaths the result of the pandemic so far, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
On Saturday morning, Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Texas) spoke on MSNBC’s “AM Joy” to discuss the White House’s response to the disease. During the program, Castro laid much of the blame for the high number of deaths at President Donald Trump’s feet.
Castro was asked by host Joy Reid about the fact that the administration had apparent knowledge of the disease starting all the way back in November. Castro said the White House failed to adequately prepare for the situation at hand, citing information he had personally seen in briefings as a member of the House Intelligence Committee.
“Based on everything that I’ve seen, they should have known exactly what was going on, should have prepared better for it and should have established the infrastructure early on to deal with it,” Castro explained. “The president didn’t do any of that and here we are now.”
The disease obviously is not the fault of Donald Trump’s. But the president was irresponsible in doing next to nothing to prepare the country for the impending arrival of coronavirus, Castro implied.
“People have needlessly suffered and died because of a lack of preparation by the president of the United States and his administration, and this administration, unfortunately, continues for the most part to bungle this response,” the congressman added.
Rep. Joaquin Castro pushes CDC to release demographic data on COVID-19 patients https://t.co/D24byKaoHv
— San Antonio Express-News (@ExpressNews) April 8, 2020
Earlier this week, ABC News reported that several sources revealed to them that the White House had received intelligence on the virus as far back as November. The information continued to be brought up during National Security Council meetings throughout December, and Trump even received a Presidential Daily Briefing about the disease in January.
According to the Washington Post, aside from closing travel with China, Trump didn’t act on the threat of coronavirus until the middle of March.
Featured image credit: Gage Skidmore/Flickr