fbpx
Now Reading
Former Proud Boy Leader Tarrio to Remain in Jail Until Capitol Riot Trial

Former Proud Boy Leader Tarrio to Remain in Jail Until Capitol Riot Trial

The former top leader of the Proud Boys will stay behind bars while he awaits his trial on charges that he conspired with other members of the far-right extremist group to attack the U.S. Capitol and stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s presidential victory, a federal judge has ruled.

Henry “Enrique” Tarrio poses a danger to the public that cannot be mitigated by home detention and banning him from using social media, U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly said in an order issued late Friday.

 

Tarrio and other Proud Boys leaders used encrypted channels, social media, and other electronic communications to plan and carry out a plot to storm the Capitol on January 6, 2021, and interfere with the congressional certification of the Electoral College vote, according to the indictment. Tarrio, who lives in southern Florida, has been jailed since his arrest on March 8th, a day after his indictment on charges including conspiracy. A federal judge in Miami previously ordered his pretrial detention.

Tarrio asked Judge Kelly to order his release on bond, but the judge rejected the request. Judge Kelly said the evidence against Tarrio is “very strong,” despite Tarrio’s argument that authorities essentially do not have “a smoking gun” against him, “perhaps in the form of direct evidence of an order from Tarrio to other Proud Boys to storm the Capitol.”

Tarrio, who claims to have stepped down as Proud Boys’ national chairman, wasn’t in Washington when the insurrection took place because DC police had arrested him two days before the riot and charged him with vandalizing a Black Lives Matter banner at a historic Black church during a protest in December 2020. A judge ordered Tarrio to stay out of the nation’s capital.

What's Your Reaction?
Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

© 2021 Hillreporter.com

Scroll To Top