Donald Trump Says He’s Been Visiting Soldiers In Walter Reed, Leaves Hospital In Motorcade To Wave At Supporters

Donald Trump, who was hospitalized Friday evening after exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, released a video Sunday evening in which he said he’s been meeting soldiers and plans to ‘pay a surprise’ to his supporters who are gathering outside. He then appeared to leave in a motorcade, waving to his fans, for what turned out to be only a brief visit.

Donald Trump says he's fine with covid
[Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images]

President Donald Trump announced around 1am on Friday that he had tested positive for COVID-19. He said he’d be quarantining. By Friday evening, doctors were moving him to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, saying that the move was out of an abundance of caution. It wasn’t until Sunday that doctors would admit Trump had required supplemental oxygen on Friday. At that time, the medical team also said Trump was taking medicines including Dexamethasone — which is typically only expected to make a difference in sufferers of severe cases of COVID-19. Despite that, the medical team suggested Trump could be released on Monday.

However, by 6pm eastern on Sunday, the president was leaving Walter Reed for a short time, after releasing a video statement. USA Today reported that Judd Deere, a White House spokesman, had confirmed Trump’s return to his suite, but called the drive-by visit a “short, last-minute ride to wave to his supporters”

Despite concerns from viewers, it’s not clear whether Trump is claiming to have exposed soldiers to the virus, or whether he met with soldiers through a partition or over a video call. He also promised to surprise his supporters. Though this was easily interpreted as a suggestion that the president intended to go down and meet with people, he was soon seen passing supporters in a presidential motorcade, waving as he traveled through the crowd.

As of Saturday evening, less than 24 hours before, Trump was, according to a statement from his doctor, “not yet out of the woods.” After this short visit — on the other side of glass, and wearing a mask — the president was returned to the hospital.

Follow Us On: Facebook and Twitter