Dominion Voting Systems on Friday filed a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News, alleging that the network purposefully and repeatedly aired false claims about the the company’s role in the 2020 presidential election simply to boost its ratings.
The suit was filed in a Delaware court and argues that the Fox network and several of its on-air personalities elevated and amplified the false conspiracy theories promoted by Rudy Giuliani, Sidney Powell and others in support of Donald Trump’s effort to overturn the results of the 2020 election.
In the lawsuit, Dominion alleges “Fox engaged in this knowing and reckless propagation of these enormous falsehoods in order to profit off these lies. Fox wanted to continue to protect its broadcast ratings, catering to an audience deeply loyal to President Trump.”
Among those falsehoods were claims that Dominion’s voting machines were manufactured in “Venezuela to rig elections for the dictator Hugo Chavez” and that the company had created an algorithm that enabled it to manipulate votes to ensure that Joe Biden would win the election.
Dominion previously has filed defamation lawsuits against Giuliani, Powell and MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell.
Fox has yet to respond to the Dominion lawsuit.
Fox News and a number of its on-air personalities also were slapped with a $2.7 billion lawsuit by Smartmatic, another election technology company, over what the company said was a “disinformation campaign” about the presidential election.
In response to the Smartmatic lawsuit, Fox said in a statement it “is committed to providing the full context of every story with in-depth reporting and clear opinion,” adding, “We are proud of our 2020 election coverage and will vigorously defend this meritless lawsuit in court.”