DemCast Releases 2020 Outcomes
DemCast, an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit recently released this statement from Executive Director, Nick Knudsen. Nick is a Portland, Oregon-based writer, activist, and troublemaker (#GoodTrouble). He worked as a grassroots digital organizer during the 2018 midterm cycle and is creator and editor of the activist site DemWritePress. With a Masters in Policy and 15-year background in non-profit management, program administration, coalition-building & resource development, Nick is proud and ready to lead the DemCast movement. He believes strongly in the importance of civic engagement & collective impact. Below, he releases the 2020 outcomes for DemCast:
Dear DemCast Supporters,
I’m thrilled to provide an update about what we did together from our launch in August 2019 until Election Day 2020 (15-month timeframe). These are our high-level outcomes:
- DemCast raised and spent $203,000 during the 2020 election cycle.
(Roughly: 70% on staffing & contractor fees; 20% on software, technology, and infrastructure costs; 10% on digital spending).
- DemCast generated 36 BILLION social media impressions for pro-blue content.
- 36B impressions through paid promotion would cost $234 Million. That’s a $1,100 return in value for every $1 invested in DemCast.
- 872,000 people used their social accounts to boost our content & hashtags.
- We moved 4,200 volunteers (many of you!) to engage in over 12,000 shifts of phone & text banking in the final 60 days – all through digital sharing.
- Our viral fundraising strategy generated $1,100,000 for 2020 candidates and $342,000 for grassroots groups like Black Voters Matter.
- That’s $6.75 in hard cash generated for the movement per $1 invested in DemCast.
That’s a pretty darn good ROI. And this was just our pilot year.
Our plans for the future involve the expansion of our footprint on social platforms, the development of a mobile app to streamline content sharing & communication, and the significant expansion of our efforts to fight disinformation. More to come on that soon.
In the meantime, we have a lot of development to do over the next twelve months, and to put it bluntly – contributions to organizations like ours tend to dwindle significantly in non-election years. Our greatest wish for Giving Tuesday is to find 200 people who will join us at any level and become sustaining, monthly donors.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.