CSPAN Suspends Scully ‘Indefinitely’ For Lying About Twitter Hack
C-SPAN host Steve Scully was supposed to be the moderator of the second Presidential Debate, originally scheduled for this past Tuesday, October 15th. That debate was cancelled in the wake of the Biden campaign’s refusal to debate in person due to Donald Trump’s positive COVID19 status and Trump’s refusal to debate remotely. Now both candidates are squaring off in separate solo Town Halls that will be aired at the exact same time, with no future debates scheduled.
Amidst all the back and forth over the debates and Town Halls, Scully admitted he lied about sending a tweet to former White House adviser Anthony Scaramucci, “for which I am totally responsible.”
Scully said he had been relentlessly targeted in conservative news outlets, social media, and by Trump himself. And then at that point, he turned to Scaramucci for advice, Scully now admits in a statement he released to the press where he apologized for his actions.
“Out of frustration I sent a brief tweet addressed to Anthony Scaramucci,” Scully said in a statement. “The next morning when I saw that this tweet had created a new controversy, I falsely claimed that my Twitter account had been hacked.”
Scully had asked Scaramucci, via Twitter, “should I respond to trump.” While a casual observer might not see the harm in Scully asking a former Trump staffer just how he would suggest handling such a contentious personality after the chaotic and unhinged way Trump behaved towards Chris Wallace, the first Presidential Debate moderator, the tweet ignited criticism from Republicans, who questioned Scully’s potential fairness.