Colorado Latino Festival Cancelled for Fear of ICE Raids
Each year, the Latino Chamber hosts a festival meant to celebrate the Latino community’s food, music and culture. This year’s gala was scheduled to take place in Boulder, Colorado over this weekend, beginning on June 23rd.
Those plans, however, were made before President Trump announced ICE raids and the deportation of millions of undocumented immigrants. The Latino Chamber, citing the President’s announcement, decided to cancel the event.
The group wrote on their Facebook page:
“Due to poor weather conditions and very real and announced threats of Immigration raids by the White House, the Colorado Latino Festival has taken the hard decision to postpone its event scheduled for tomorrow, Sunday, June 23rd in Boulder, CO. This combination of conditions has created a not-so-ideal scenario for everyone participating.”
In addition to potential raids, the Latino Chamber also felt that the fear could lower attendance and create poor value for their vendors. They continued, “We want to be sensible to our communities. As vendors, artists, sponsors, volunteers, staff, contractors and attendees we want you to have a great experience while providing you the highest positive impact.”
Trump’s raid announcement was met with near immediate criticism. Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, called the President late last week and asked him to rethink the decision. The California Congresswoman said, “When I spoke to the president, I said, ‘Look, I’m a mom, I have five kids, nine grandchildren and children are scared. You’re scaring the children of America, not just in those families, but their neighbors and their communities.”