BREAKING: Rod Rosenstein Reportedly Out as Deputy Attorney General
Update 11:00 a.m.: There are conflicting reports from Fox News and Huffington Post, over whether Rosenstein has resigned or if he will instead force the President to fire him. This story is developing.
Update 1:38 p.m.: President Trump and Rosenstein plan to talk on Thursday and that Rosenstein remains on the job as of now.
Reports coming from Axios now indicate that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has verbally told White House Chief of Staff John Kelly that he is resigning.
According to two different sources speaking to Axios, Rosenstein, who expected to be fired by the President, has instead decided to resign. One source indicated that the resignation has already come in the form of a verbal announcement to John Kelly, while the second source indicated that Rosenstein planned to resign after being made aware of the President’s intentions to fire him.
“He’s expecting to be fired,” one of the sources told Axios.
Another source told the Huffington Post that Rosenstein is headed to the White House right now, expecting to instead be fired.
This news comes on the heels of a New York Times article last week that indicated that Rosenstein had considered using the 25th Amendment to remove President Trump from office, as well as allegations that he suggested recording the President within the White House. These allegations have since been written-off as a joke by others in the room at the time.