Now Reading
Accidental Gun Discharge at Atlanta Airport Causes Panic and Delays Flights

Accidental Gun Discharge at Atlanta Airport Causes Panic and Delays Flights

A passenger accidentally discharged a gun at Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport, causing panicked travelers to flee and briefly halting departures Saturday afternoon, officials said. Following the incident, the Federal Aviation Administration briefly halted departures.

About 1:30 p.m. EST, a transportation security officer was checking a bag after the X-ray machine identified a prohibited item, according to the Transportation Security Administration. The officer told the passenger not to touch the bag, but “as he opened the compartment containing the prohibited item, the passenger lunged into the bag and grabbed a firearm, at which point it discharged,” the TSA said in a written statement.


The passenger then ran out the airport exit, according to the TSA. The airport tweeted that there was not an active shooter and that a firearm had accidentally gone off. Officials gave the all-clear just before 3:30 p.m.

Cellphone video captured frightened travelers lying on the ground inside the airport. Other footage showed passengers getting off planes and waiting on the tarmac and around the terminals, according to NBC affiliate WXIA of Atlanta. Passengers also shared photos and videos on Twitter.


A spokesman with the Atlanta Police Department said no injuries were reported, however, the TSA said early reports indicated three people had injuries not thought to be threatening. No additional details have been provided about the reported injuries. The TSA said the incident should remind passengers of “the importance of checking personal belongings for dangerous items before leaving for the airport.”

TSA officers have come across more than 450 firearms at checkpoints in the Atlanta airport this year, the agency said. “Firearms, particularly loaded firearms, introduce an unnecessary risk at checkpoints, have no place in the passenger cabin of an airplane, and represent a very costly mistake for the passengers who attempt to board a flight with them,” the TSA said.

See Also

Police have not said whether any arrests have been made or if anyone has been charged in the incident.

The airport has since resumed normal operations, officials said in another statement around 3:30 p.m. Twitter users reported that the airport is still in a state of confusion, some noting long lines and missed flights. Delta Airlines issued a travel waiver to assist customers who were impacted by the incident, the company announced in a statement. Customers’ fare difference will be waived if their rebooked flight occurs on or before November 23rd in the same cabin originally booked.

What's Your Reaction?
In Love
Not Sure

© 2021 Hillreporter.com

Scroll To Top